- Comfortable, protective shoes that you can run in.
- Shatter-resistant eye protection (ie. Sunglasses, swim goggles)
- Weather-related gear (ie. Rain gear or sun hat)
What to bring:
- Lots of water in a plastic bottle, to drink
- Energy snacks
- A small medi-kit with bandages, plasters, tape etc.
- Just enough money for pay-phone, food, transportation.
- Watch, paper, pen for accurate documentation of events, police brutality, injuries.
- Inhaler, epipen, insulin or other meds if applicable.
- Several days of prescription medication and doctor’s note in case of arrest.
- Menstrual pads, if needed. Avoid using tampons - if you’re arrested you may not have a chance to change it (tampons left in for more than six hours increase your risk of developing toxic shock syndrome)
What not to do:
- Don’t wear things that can easily be grabbed (ie. Dangly earrings or other jewellery, ties, loose hair)
- Don’t go to the demo alone, if you can help it. It is best to go with an affinity group or some friends who know you well.
- Don’t forget to eat food and DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
- Don’t drink alcohol before a demo.
- Don’t take drugs before a demo or carry them with you. This includes cannabis.
- Don’t bring any ID, if possible.
What if I or someone I know gets arrested?
Call the NLG! Write this number on your body, somewhere that is covered by clothing: