What follows is the original version of protest.guide hosted on sandstorm with hackerCMS
layout: default title: ProtestGuide —
So what is this?
This is a demonstration of possible solutions to several protest-related problems:
1. During some of the most recent big protests, lots of people participating in them had never been to a protest before and didn’t have the experience of basic protest safety.
2. When large groups of people gather in one area of a city, say for a mass protest, the local cell towers have problems dealing with all the traffic. This makes data speeds slow for everyone at the protest and can make it difficult to load important information about the protest.
3. Act as a moderated news source of information directly relevant to protestors.
- I pulled content from here but ideally, content would be customized for a specific protest.
- New Idea: Add a section that’s a kind of timestamped newsfeed
- ALL content on one single page. Perhaps the “newsfeed” can go on a second.
- CSS needs much tweaking.
- I’m using HackerCMS for this site right now since it’s just serving a single page with a stylesheet but I’m open to suggests for another minimal CMS solution.
1. What to wear:
- Comfortable, protective shoes that you can run in.
- Shatter-resistant eye protection (ie. Sunglasses, swim goggles)
- Weather-related gear (ie. Rain gear or sun hat)
2. What to bring:
- Lots of water in a plastic bottle, to drink
- Energy snacks
- A small medi-kit with bandages, plasters, tape etc.
- Just enough money for pay-phone, food, transportation.
- Watch, paper, pen for accurate documentation of events, police brutality, injuries.
- Inhaler, epipen, insulin or other meds if applicable.
- Several days of prescription medication and doctor’s note in case of arrest.
- Menstrual pads, if needed. Avoid using tampons - if you’re arrested you may not have a chance to change it (tampons left in for more than six hours increase your risk of developing toxic shock syndrome)
3. What not to do:
- Don’t wear things that can easily be grabbed (ie. Dangly earrings or other jewellery, ties, loose hair)
- Don’t go to the demo alone, if you can help it. It is best to go with an affinity group or some friends who know you well.
- Don’t forget to eat food and DRINK LOTS OF WATER.
- Don’t drink alcohol before a demo.
- Don’t take drugs before a demo or carry them with you. This includes cannabis.
- Don’t bring any ID, if possible.
Chants look kinda good in a blockquote:
1. Here’s a chant!
2. Here’s another chant!
5. Social Media
- Here’s a place you can talk about using social media shit.
- The text box formatting could use some work.
- #hashtag - #hashtaghashtag - #hashyhashytagyhashyhashy
6. What if I or someone I know gets arrested?
- Call the NLG!
- Other tips about remaining calm and that it’s gonna be alright n shit and what else to expect or whatever.
- Tips about what to do when your friend gets arrested but you don’t.